Skip to content
- – Pathway/Axis:
- – Major cause:
- tumor of the anterior pituitary gland called a pituitary adenoma.
- Causes anterior pituitary to produce excess growth hormone after the closure of the epiphyseal plate during puberty.
- – Major symptoms:
- hands, feet, nose, lips, and ears show swelling of the soft tissue, and skin starts to thicken.
- Swelling if internal organs, deep voice due to swelling of vocal cords, jaw or brow protrusion, and expansion of the skull at the fontanelle.
- Enlargement of the tongue. Severe headaches, arthritis, hypertension, diabetes mellitus. Possible heart and kidney failure.
Empty Sella Syndrome
Pituitary adenoma (Prolactinoma)
Pituitary during pregnancy
- – Increased estrogen -> hyperplasia of prolactin-secreting cells -> increased prolactin -> INCREASED PITUITARY SIZE
- – Vascular supply remains the same despite the increased pituitary size
error: Content is protected !!